Saturday, September 7, 2013

goodwill ambassador

Ever since middle school, I've been obsessed with all things vintage. While other kids were collecting Beanie Babies and Pogs (don't even act like you don't know what I'm talking about), I was begging my mom to drive me across town to thrift stores. I'm hesitant to even tell you what I collected, 'cause you'll think me totally lame...okay, here goes: Hat pins. And atomizers. And cameo brooches. Yeah, nerdy. I know. The other kids thought so too.

And while I no longer think I live on the set of "My Fair lady" (though a girl can always dream), I still love a good vintage find. Especially when I can get it on the cheap. At Goodwill.

Seriously the most under-rated store. Not only do I always find unique accessories with vintage-flair, but it's also a great place to buy children's clothes, and even brand-spankin' new, tags still on 'em and everything deals.

But I can understand why some might be a bit hesitant to try shopping there. It's not the sort of place where you can shop with something particular in mind, and then there's always the sizing issue.

So I've put together a few tips for making your next treasure-hunt a success.

Look for expensive boutiques nearby. 
Sometimes, when these businesses fail (one look at the price tags can explain why), they donate (brand-new) merchandise so they can get a tax return on the retail value on their unsold goods. Translation: shopping spree on Uncle Sam. I happened across one of these donation-dreams this summer, and left giddy with a sack full of closet gold (without paying a sack of gold).

Be open-minded
As I mentioned earlier, Goodwill isn't really the kind of place to go with the expectation of something particular in mind. Especially if you're looking for the perfect pair of jeans. If, however, you are looking for something to spice up a bland outfit, or something to cozy up in this winter, Goodwill is your friend.

Don't be afraid of a little DIY.
Emphasis here on "little". Especially if you don't want to spend more time and money on a piece than you bought it for. I'm talking about simple fixes, like adding your own hole to a belt (something I do ALL the time), gluing the leather backing on to an otherwise pristine leather satchel, taking in the waist of a skirt, or hemming a pair of pants. Shoe doctors are also your friends if you find a high-quality pair with a broken buckle or a wobbly high heel.

Don't just shop your size.
This one kind of ties in with the previous tip. If you can't find anything in your size, don't be afraid to shop a larger one. Waistbands can always be taken in (if you're lazy like me, you can just use safety pins), and pants always taken up. Just be weary of complex seams, pleating, or tricky fabrics.

Shop accessories.
This is where Goodwill really shines. Belts, handbags, beaded clutches, even hats. Way more charming and wallet-friendly than Charlie.

Shop last season
Not so much for the best deals (since everything is a steal anyway), but because people tend to donate off-season goods. And because the coat section is sure to be far less picked-over in June.

Check out the kitchen aisle
Probably my favorite section of the store. You can find anything from vintage Fiestaware (just steer clear of anything orange, unless radioactive materials are your thing), Waterford vases and decanters, Grandma's hand-painted china tea cups, and porcelain cake stands.

Don't forget the kiddos.
Shopping for the little ones here makes the most sense since they grow so dang fast. Especially good if you find something a few sizes too big -at least you know it will probably fit them in a couple of months. Just last week I found Daisy a pair of Missoni for Target ballet flats (tags still on) and Minnetonka moccasin booties. And don't get me started on the children's books, DVD's, and toys. 

Think Rachel McAdams in The Notebook.
Not only is this look timeless, but it's universally flattering. Look for A-line skirts, wedge ankle-strap shoes, wide belts, sleeved button-down dresses, and pops of red. 
Here's Daisy's and I's take on it :





Daisy's look
Dress: Goodwill, Shoes: My hand-me-downs (keds) circa 1985

My look
Dress, belt, and handbag: all Goodwill

Thrifty kisses,
n&d 

1 comment:

  1. You are so beautiful and unique, my friend. I can sympathize with your kids collectibles - I wanted an atomizer SO BADLY when I was a little girl!
    xoxo - Natalie

    ReplyDelete